Did you know that the skin is the largest organ in our body? It helps protect our bones and muscles, regulate our temperature, and fight off microbes. And like any other organ in our system, it depends on what we drink and eat.
While daily water intake is vital for clean skin, some foods might cause the opposite effect. Specific meals, especially those with high-processed ingredients, can cause inflammation, rashes, eczema, and acne.
Below, we list the top 5 foods you should avoid for and why.
- Instant noodles: even though instant ramen can be practical and delicious, the amount of salt, MSG, and TBHQ turns this meal into a poor choice for the skin. High levels of salt can cause acne and dark spots.
- Processed meats: foods like salami and ham provide a high sodium intake. This particular component is responsible for water retention, making your skin look puffy and swollen afterward.
- Milk and dairy products: full-fat yogurts, cheese, and milk are processed with hormones to expand their shelf life. A study from 2016 states that this is a factor directly linked with acne and inflammation.
- Alcohol: alcoholic beverages not only affect your cardiovascular system. They also dehydrate your skin, causing premature signs of aging such as fine lines and wrinkles.
- Donuts, cookies, and other baked goods: these foods contain high levels of sugar, specifically refined sugar. Sugar glycates collagen, the principal actor in skin elasticity.
Nevertheless, this doesn’t mean you have to cut these foods off forever to appreciate the results. The key is to eat balanced and drink enough water to help the skin renew.
Foods you should eat for clear skin
Check out my Instagram for fun, easy cooking ideas you can make at home.
Go back to the homepage.