QUICK TERIYAKI TOFU STIR-FRY
4 cloves garlic, minced
Juice from 1⁄4 cup peeled and grated ginger
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 1⁄2 teaspoons shoyu
1 tablespoon umeboshi paste
1⁄2 cup apple juice
1⁄2 cup water
1 pound firm or extra firm tofu, pressed
1⁄4-1/3 cup vegetable oil 1 tablespoon kuzu
1. In blender, combine marinade ingredients. Blend until smooth.
2. Slice tofu into four slabs of equal thickness.
3. In 2 1⁄2 quart pot, combine tofu with marinade. Bring to boil and reduce to simmer, covered, for 35 minutes.
4. Drain tofu (reserving marinade) and blot with paper towels to absorb excess moisture.
5. In 10-inch sauté pan, heat oil and pan-fry tofu over medium-high heat until golden on both sides.
6. After tofu is cooked, drain any excess oil out of pan and place tofu in warm oven.
7. Transfer marinade to blender with kuzu and process until smooth.
8. Pour blended mixture into pan and cook for about two minutes, until liquid is thickened, stirring constantly.
9. Add tofu to sauce, stirring until well coated.
10. Serve with rice and steamed vegetables.