Easy Homemade Pasta – Without a Pasta Machine
3 1/4 cups Plain Flour (all purpose, See Note 1 for swaps)
4 Large Eggs
1. Place the flour and eggs in the bowl of a stand mixer (see: Note 2 below for doing this bit by hand).
2. Use the dough hook and start mixing slowly until it comes together as a ball. You may need to add a little splash of water or flour, depending on if the dough looks dry or sticky.
3. Once it forms into a ball, increase the speed to medium and mix for 5 minutes, until the dough is smooth.
4. Take the dough out of the bowl and wrap in clingfilm or wax paper (ensure it's fully
covered so it doesn't dry out) and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, and up to 12 hours.
5. Remove from the fridge and split the dough into 4 pieces.
6. Using a rolling pin (see Note 3), roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface until the dough is as thin as you can possibly get it. You should just about be able to see the
shape of your hand through the dough.
7. Now you can cut the pasta into any shape you want. Large rectangles for lasagna,
squares for ravioli or strips for tagliatelle.
8. For tagliatelle, lightly flour the top of the dough and roll it up loosely before slicing into 1/2 cm (0.2") thick strips.
9. Use your fingers to separate out the strands and place on a plate in portions.
10. To cook the pasta, place in a large pan of well-salted boiling water. Bring back to the boil and simmer for 3 minutes. The pasta should float to the top of the water when cooked.